Jun 26, 2006

From one artist to another of another...



I loaned my friend Patrick Mate the hefty tome on Bill Tytla I bought last year(a memoir and compendium of every scrap of stuff Tytla's widow saved on him throughout their years together; $160), and he spent the weekend starting to devour it.
He absolutely loves Tytla; he used Stromboli as a test model for a lip synch assignment at his school, the great Gobelins in Paris, and waxes rhapsodic when talking about him. He's so eloquent I really wish I could get his enthusiasm across here--his astute appraisal of what makes Tytla's character animation special to him. On his own blog Patrick's always doing great caricatures of his friends, himself, and various figures he likes, from Margaret Rutherford to french comedians I've never seen...so I asked him to draw Tytla and Fred Moore for me. He did! Merci!

4 comments:

Duck Dodgers said...

There's a Tytla celebration up on my blog!


http://classiccartoons.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

When the widow Tyla's book was announced a while ago, I sent an email to the address noted on CartoonBrew. When I got no reply, I guessed the book didn't get printed, but your blog proves that assumption false. How can I get a copy now? Regardless of any reply, your blog is such a gift...hope I can repay the generosity and kindness sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

And merci cher Jenny to post this!

Cale Atkinson said...

Hi Jenny, I just wanted to thank you for added me on to your list of links! I feel honored and humbled to be on the same list as such inspiring artists. I've been a huge fan of your blog for quite awhile now and always get giddy with excitement when I see there's a new post to devour. Keep up the great stuff!